Scroll Top

My partner and I have been together for 10 years. Now that it’s legal in Pennsylvania, we want to have a wedding and we want to have a rabbi officiating. Neither of us belongs to a synagogue right now, so how do we find a rabbi who is willing to do it?

Dear B&D,

First, mazel tov and congratulations. It’s wonderful to be with someone you love for such a long time and having a legal wedding ceremony is a wonderful way to celebrate your love and commitment. There are many rabbis who will be happy to perform your ceremony and synagogues that will rent their sanctuary for the occasion. One of the best resources is Keshet, the national LGBTQ educational organization, which maintains a list of rabbis willing to perform weddings  ( in their Wedding Project section. You can search by affiliation and zip code. Rabbis in the Reconstructionist and Reform Movements have long performed weddings for LGBTQ couples and Conservative rabbis have begun doing so more recently. Also, on the Keshet website, are model ceremonies that you and your partner can check out. Another resource is

I’m glad you reached out and please write again if you have other questions once you get started planning. Again, congratulations.